Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Wien

Vienna is definitely and experience I will never forget. Coming from Poland definitely changes my outlook on this experience. My classmates will have different opinions, as most of them have never traveled before. I on the other hand get to experience Vienna in two ways. One, I can experience it through the American filter by spending time with my classmates and behaving more like an American. When I'm with my friend Adri, who has experienced Europe, we behave more like Europeans. Growing up in two countries and experiencing the two cultures adds to me having a different experience in Vienna than the average American. Nonetheless, Vienna has made a huge positive impression on me. This is a capital of the world, and yet it is so different than American cities like New York or San Francisco, for example. History is visible on every street corner. After all, America is a young country in comparison to Europe. For example, just the other day Adri and I found a church that was built in the 14th century and then later other parts were added on to it. What makes Vienna even more different from America is the fact that there is no skyline. All the building in the city cannot be taller than Stephansdom. Thus, Vienna does not have tall skyscrapers like we do in America.
^ Stephansdom                                        ^ The city of Vienna

It is interesting that Vienna is such an important city in the world and yet it looks so much different from other cities of this kind. 


German word: aufrecht erhalten 
It means: to maintain 
For example: Ich erhalte mein Auto aufrecht. 







No comments:

Post a Comment