Monday, September 10, 2012

Transportation

Even before I arrived in Vienna I was impressed with its vast transportation system. I had a plan ready for my arrival in Vienna, I knew that I would exit my train and from the train station I will walk over to the Ubahn 6 and in five stops I would be in my new house. And this I did; I had no problem with the arrival.
Living in Vienna for a month we got to experience the transportation system in the city. We used everything, the Ubahn, the trams, and the buses. Everything works like clockwork. The maps are easy to read which made our job easier.
 <-- Here is the map of the Ubahn lines in Vienna. There are five.


Coming form the Bay Area and Warsaw, the Viennese transportation system is amazing !
Comparing it to both Warsaw and the Bay, it is more efficient, clean, and frequent. BART in Bay, which is supposed to be the equivalent of subways, is disgusting. And there is only a couple lines that do not cover the entire bay. BART was built in the 70s and that is visible. Probably because it wasn't upgraded since then. Only recently have there been improvements done to the train cars. The trains run as often as in Vienna, but the stations in the Bay are not as nice and clean.
When comparing Vienna to Warsaw, there are some similarities. The Warsaw Metro is really nice the stations are clean and colorful. The trains are also clean and fairly modern. The only difference between the two cities is that, Warsaw only has on Metro line (second one is being built).
When comparing the buses and trams to the two places almost the same arguments can be made. The transportation system in the Bay Area is slow, dirty, and uncomfortable. Warsaw's transportation system is like Vienna. It's meant to be quick and efficient so that people can get from place to place in such huge cities in a timely manner.
It is kind of unbelievable that in such huge cities like Vienna and Warsaw there exist vast transportation systems. And then we take a look at the Bay Area, and it amazes me what terrible shape the transportation system is in.
And do not even get me started on the train system in Europe in comparison to California. Once, I wanted to take the train to LA from Oakland; the trip would have taken around 13 hours and I still would have to get on a Grayhound for part of the trip. In 13 hours I can fly over, with layover, from San Francisco to Warsaw.
The transportation systems in California and Europe are incomparable.

German Word: die Wahrheit
English: truth
Sentence: Erzählen Sie mir bitte die Wahrhei.

No comments:

Post a Comment