Thursday, September 6, 2012

The World of the Biedermeier

While visiting the Belveder Art Gallery we were introduced to the Biedermeier culture. Between the Congress of Vienna and the revolution in March 1848, the Biedermeier culture emerged. Parsons writes that, "the Viennese turned inwards to 'the good life'"(195). Now, the Viennese focused on the family life and not so much politics.
The paintings in the Belveder dpict the Bidermeier life. They show imagages of a comfortable family life. The women take care of the household, and the men work and bring in capital into the household. Family values are important. Child upbringing and the household are the most important to the woman, it is her job.
While at the museum, Dr.O asked if any of us have any Biedermeier in them.Thinking about that question I came to the conclusion that I do have some Biedermeier in me. To be honest the Polish culture is quite like the Bidermier. (However that is changing). I grew up in a family that was very close. As a kid I was at my grandparents house on the weekends and during the summer. Our family always spent all holidays together. There was that 'homey' atmosphere at my grandparents house. Even now that I live in the US, I still visit my grandma for 2 months during the summer. Also, there is order and familiarity in the household. Meaning, its neat, tidy, and there is great food. Growing up in this atmosphere of the Biedermeier I can see some Biedermeier in me.
The world of the Biedermeier is something that I wish can be preserved in current day society. At least to an extent. Strong family ties and bonds make society stronger.

German word: der Zufall
English: chance
Sentence: Ich hatte meine Zufall und nahm es.

No comments:

Post a Comment